Liposuction is a surgical procedure that improves your body’s shape through the targeted removal of excess fat from various areas of the body. At Denton Plastic Surgery, we offer advanced liposuction surgeries in a custom, multiple-step process to help ensure a smooth and even result.
The areas we treat include:
- Back, arms, and armpit area
- Neck and surrounding area
Advanced Liposuction Techniques for Smoother, More Attractive Results
We use a multi-step process in our liposuction surgeries and Drs. Flugstad and Rivet spend extra time during your surgery to achieve the smooth, shapely look that you envision.
What Can Liposuction Do for Me?
Our liposuction can enhance your figure by slimming the abdomen, thighs, and arms, reducing excess underarm fat to improve breast appearance, take care of saddlebags, love handles, abdominal fat, fatty buttocks or thighs, upper arms, back, and help you achieve more attractive body proportions. Liposuction is often used in conjunction with body surgical procedures, including:
- Tummy tuck
- Breast reduction
- Thigh lift
- Arm lift
- As a means of gathering fat for fat transfer to the buttocks or breasts
Body Contouring After Dramatic Weight Loss
We caution patients that if overhanging skin is left from weight loss, they may need skin removal rather than liposuction alone to achieve a flat, attractive body contour.
Am I a Good Candidate for Liposuction?
If you are unhappy with your body shape, with diet and exercise failing to reduce some fatty areas, you are likely a good candidate for liposuction. While liposuction is not a weight-loss technique, it can remove stubborn fat in those problem areas and leave you looking significantly slimmer, reducing your waist, buttocks, thighs, or double chin.
When performed on the abdomen and love handles, your waist may reduce by several sizes. If you need a larger volume of fat removed, or only a small amount to sculpt and shape your body, we have the right options for you.
Only a consultation and examination in our private office can determine if liposuction is the correct treatment for you and will deliver the results you envision for your body. In your liposuction consultation, we will perform a thorough examination and determine how to best resolve your individual areas of concern.
What Happens During Liposuction?
We will take all the time you need to discuss a proposed body sculpting plan during your liposuction consultation. And we will tell you everything to expect before, during, and after surgery. During liposuction, you may expect:
- A solution is injected into the treatment area to loosen the fat cells from the surrounding tissues, to limit swelling and the risk of bleeding, and to numb the area.
- A small incision is made, and a thin, hollow cannula is inserted.
- The cannula is gently moved back and forth to suction the excess fat from the area.
- In power-assisted liposuction, an oscillating device moves the cannula back and forth, with the fat cells broken up and extracted the most efficiently.
- If we perform liposuction on a smaller area, we commonly use a syringe technique, which allows for precise and localized extraction, far more controlled and less invasive than the traditional method. A syringe is connected to the liposuction cannula. The surgeon can create suction by hand, which allows for a high level of control and finesse in refining certain areas of the face or body.
Our multiple-step approach allows us to use cannulas that vary in size and type to achieve the smoothest possible outcome. In most liposuction treatments, general anesthesia is recommended, but for less extensive treatments, local anesthesia is all that is needed. We regularly employ a technique called SAFE Lipo. This method of multiple cannula use adds additional steps to maximize fat removal and make the treated areas smooth and even.
What Is the Tumescent Technique?
The tumescent technique, which is the gold standard for liposuction, delivers local anesthesia and epinephrine in the treatment areas, which allows for the most patient comfort and minimal trauma or blood loss.
- The tumescent solution reduces blood loss and bruising.
- The procedure is less painful and easier on the body overall.
- The tumescent technique reduces recovery time.
What Is Involved in Liposuction Recovery?
As with all surgeries, if you follow our aftercare instructions and let us know immediately if there are any issues such as increased pain, you will be on the path to healing and will soon be enjoying your new, trim figure, ready to show it off!
After your liposuction, you will be fitted with a compression garment. This garment helps to prevent swelling and is geared to help speed the healing process. During recovery, you can expect:
- Most patients take at least a week off from work after surgical liposuction.
- Depending upon the extent of your liposuction, you may have to wear your compressive garment for just a few days or a few weeks.
- Soreness, bruising, and swelling are common after liposuction.
- If larger areas have been treated you may require a longer recovery time, up to two weeks, before returning to work.
- Exercise can be gradually increased after a few weeks.
- Ice packs may be helpful, and we will provide you with a prescription for pain medication should you experience discomfort or pain.
What Results Can I Expect?
At Denton Plastic Surgery, we focus on placing incisions in areas where the small scars will not be easily seen. The goal is to have you seeing results within a week or so, with near-final results at 6-8 weeks. Targeted fat reduction can dramatically smooth, shape, and enhance your body. Our team of medical professionals will be tracking your recovery progress closely, and we are committed to assisting you to get you back to your routine as soon as possible. In most cases, there are no sutures to remove. Any scars will be small and discreet, and they will fade and become smooth within a few months.
Once you have healed, the result of your liposuction surgery will be a more attractive figure, increased confidence, and maybe even smaller-sized clothing in your closet. Do you want to learn more about liposuction? Contact us today for a liposuction consultation.