Dr. Nicholas Flugstad is a board-certified plastic surgeon with a luxury private practice in Denton, Texas, where he specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery. He has established himself as a talented and compassionate surgeon with a desire to provide a detailed and thorough approach to treatment, performed with the highest level of safety and satisfaction. Dr. Flugstad and his team are constantly seeking to be on the leading edge of plastic surgery, with the safest and most effective procedures.
Dedicated to excellence: Dr. Nicholas Flugstad
Plastic surgery is a unique and ever-advancing field to which Dr. Flugstad is fully dedicated – and enthusiastic about with his patients. The term “plastic” refers to the plastic surgeon’s ability to “mold” or “shape.”
In other words, plastic surgeons have the ability to use the body’s tissues (or implants) to refresh, reshape, rebuild, and reconstruct all areas of the body. With roots in general surgery, transplant surgery, burn surgery, hand surgery, and other disciplines, plastic surgery employs some of the most exciting and difficult procedures used in the field of medicine today.
Background & education
Dr. Flugstad is a Washington area native and was raised on the Eastside in the neighboring town of Redmond. Growing up, he was influenced by the careers of his father and his uncle, who are both longtime physicians and active members of the Washington community. Dr. Flugstad is a well-known member of the medical community, and was recently elected as a Washington Met “Top Doc”, as voted by his physician peers.
- After graduating from Wheaton College cum laude with a degree in Chemistry, Dr. Flugstad attended the Medical College of Wisconsin. Early in his medical education, he knew he wanted to be a surgeon. He earned high honors in advanced Anatomical Studies and chose to study several Surgical Specialties. He chose to perform plastic surgery rotations at multiple institutions to confirm his love for plastic surgery. He scored in the 99th percentile on his U.S. Medical Licensing Exam which helped ensure his “match” into this competitive specialty.
- He received his medical degree in 2008 and was the only student from his graduating class to be accepted into a plastic surgery residency. He then began his rigorous, integrated six-year residency in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the Medical College of Wisconsin. This core training covers all facets of plastic surgery, including cosmetic and reconstructive surgery.
- Dr. Flugstad completed an additional clinical fellowship in head and neck surgery at MD Anderson Cancer Center, in 2011, with some of the world’s best microsurgeons.
- After completing his plastic surgery training in 2014, Dr. Flugstad completed an additional one-year Aesthetic Surgery Fellowship under the mentorship of Dr. Joseph Hunstad, a world expert in this field. In this intensive year, Dr. Flugstad participated in several hundred aesthetic procedures to further refine his skills.
- Dr. Flugstad then continued on to become a Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery. This rigorous, 18-month process requires extensive review of a plastic surgeon’s skills and judgement, ultimately resulting in certification by a dedicated group of peer plastic surgeons.
Dr. Flugstad chose to dedicate his career to plastic surgery because it offers the most delicate, technically-advanced procedures, and the ability to make a positive impact in caring for a wide variety of surgical patients.
Author & educator
Dr. Flugstad has authored multiple publications in the field of plastic surgery. He has also presented his work at several national meetings, including the American Association of Plastic Surgeons, the American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery, the Plastic Surgery Research Council, and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). Dr. Flugstad was also invited to present his work on nerve injury and repair in Melbourne, Australia.
Most recently, he has co-authored a book chapter on purse string gluteoplasty, a method of buttock lifting and augmentation using the patient’s own tissue that was invented by his mentor, Dr. Hunstad. His ongoing research has focused on breast augmentation surgery, including methods of decreasing capsular contracture, the most common complication of breast augmentation surgery. Dr. Flugstad is also studying the safety and efficacy of anatomic shaped breast implants.
In continuing with traditions of education, Dr. Flugstad teaches medical students on a regular basis. This includes clinical education of rotating medical students, as well as laboratory-based suture skills sessions.
Dr. Flugstad also published a landmark study about cosmetic breast augmentation. Using information from multiple plastic surgery practices, Dr. Flugstad and the authors demonstrated that complications from breast augmentation are reduced by up to 50% when a Keller Funnel is used for the procedure.
Advanced reconstructive procedures
Dr. Flugstad took advantage of a wide array of educational opportunities throughout his training. He participated in hundreds of surgical cases in free tissue transfer surgery for breast (DIEP flap), extremity, and head and neck reconstruction. In preparation for clinical practice, Dr. Flugstad strongly advanced his knowledge in the following areas of plastic and reconstructive surgery:
- Microsurgical breast reconstruction using your own natural tissue
- Breast reconstruction with implants and fat transfer
- Sarcoma and orthopedic soft tissue reconstruction
- Skin cancer reconstruction
During his third year of residency, Dr. Flugstad spent two months at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. This was an elective focused on head and neck cancer and head and neck microsurgical reconstruction. While serving as chief resident, he ran a dedicated service and clinic for Veterans, including spinal cord injury patients. He also staffed a chief resident cosmetic clinic.
In the first year following graduation from his residency, Dr. Flugstad sought out a one-year comprehensive cosmetic fellowship, with emphasis on breast and body surgery, at the Hunstad Kortesis Center for Plastic Surgery in Charlotte, North Carolina, one of only 12 fellowship programs nationwide that has been endorsed by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Dr. Hunstad is world renowned for his expertise in liposuction, tummy tuck, body contouring, and face-lifting. Dr. Flugstad owes much of his skill and aptitude in aesthetics to his fellowship training year.
Dr. Flugstad resides in Argyle with his wife and four children. He enjoys a variety of outdoor activities including hiking, downhill skiing, and chasing his twin toddlers around the park.